9.21.2011

Obedience is better than Sacrifice

Sunday I had the opportunity to talk to a lady in our church who recently visited her daughter in college. She told me of a church that she went to; the church was larger. She told me that the church had many ministry groups, colorful posters and she said the worship was amazing. Then, a great sadness covered her face. She told me that the church wasn't preaching scripture. That while on the outside it looked great, at the heart of things it wasn't. She couldn't believe that all of the people sitting in the sanctuary had boughten into the lie of the church.

During the service at our church on sunday, the speaker talked about obedience. And how Obedience is better than sacrifice. (1 Samuel 15). (This was also the same lesson I taught my little ones two days before). I really meditated on this during the service.

I realized that our church preaches scripture every sunday. It values the authority of the scripture above all things.

I also realized that our church body, really loves each other. I know I'm still new so I dont hear all the drama. But I do know that for the most part they love each other. They'd be willing to do anything for one another. Just today I had somebody offer a room in their house for us this weekend because we'll be down there on Saturday and Sunday.

THATS what matters most.

While worship music is important. Good music isn't the most important thing in a church. Yes, churches probably have a lot more small groups than we do and are better at doing them. But those small groups that we have, focus on studying scripture!


I am SO blessed by our church.

Yes, not all of our services are perfect. People mess up. The speaker isn't always interesting. We might need things. We might need more money. Our church office might be leaking.

BUT

Our foundation is sturdy. The church was built by men who fear the Lord. And that will NOT change. We have valued obedience over sacrifice and that encourages me.

My prayer for you is that your church is preaching scriputre. That the Lord will open your eyes past the glitz and the glam of ministry. Is his name being proclaimed? Are they matching what they say with what scripture says? Does your congregation REALLY love each other? Is your church preaching doctrine. Do YOU as a person know what your church believes? I see so many people get sucked into a church that believes false doctrine and it makes me sad.

That is whats most important. Not good music, or fun small groups. But the authority of scripture and loving one another like Christ did.

thats all for now
-j

No comments:

Post a Comment