11.22.2010

While it's still new

Thanksgiving is just a couple of days away but I have something to confess....

Today I started listening to Christmas music. I know it's early, I'm sorry. But my excuse is that I had dishes and other house things to do and that was my motivation.

Coincidently my mother sent me a package.... With Christmas cookie decorations in it!! My friends and I are making cookies for the dorm students around campus and I didn't have anything (being that I just got married) So mom sent me a package. It had two different types of sprinkles in it, edible beads, cookie cutters, and a snowman dish towel. So cute.


Like everything in our society we are on to the next big thing. Christmas decorations were out in stores even before halloween had come. (Brian and I got our Christmas tree on Oct 9).

However by the end of it all, most people will be sick of Christmas.

This is the one time of year that almost everybody looks forward to. Yet we still manage to become sick of it. What does that say about us?

But are they sick of Christmas or just the commercialization of it? Sick of the Christmas songs and the smell of pine trees. Sick of looking at left over Christmas cookies, and eating left over Christmas food especially the fruit cake. And some people, even sick of family. But I think we are forgetting the meaning of Christmas.

Christmas is when we celebrate our saviors birth. We hear it a million times during the season, but it should make us jump for joy and worship our King. Yet we get sick of it. We should stand up and say HALLELUJAH! Yet we get sick of it. Americans want things at a fast pace and don't want to stay focused on one thing for too long, but I see it affection our spiritual walk.

Now I'm not saying it's a SIN to get sick of "Santa baby" or whatever, because honestly sometimes I do want to punch out my radio after it comes on ever day for a month. But next time we say we are sick of Christmas; think about just exactly what are we sick of? And remember you probably waited for it all year long, so it's just pay back.

Just a thought. thats all for now.
-j

No comments:

Post a Comment