10.30.2011

An Excellent Wife, who can find?

Hey Everyone, Sorry there was no weekend roll out. Currently, I am sick and I want to die. However Brian and I did get to spend time with his family. Some much needed colligan family time.

ANYWAY
I am a very blessed girl. My engagement right is BEAUTIFUL. It is the exact type of ring I've always wanted...

Our culture has made weddings into a Billion Dollar Industry. Girls care more about the look of their wedding then they do anything else. We have theknot davidsbridal brides.com etsy. You can have two wedding dresses, you can have two cakes. You can have a wedding registry at target, khols, and bed bath and beyond. You can have you own personal website. You get engagement photos taken. You send out save the dates. You have to make sure those who come to your reception do not sit next to people they dont get a long with.

There is so much excitement and stress that go into preparing for a wedding. But why is it that we "prepare for weddings"? Shouldn'twe be training up our "brides to be" to be wives, not brides?

Think about it. I see SO many photos on facebook that girls post of their 'dream wedding'. We want this dress, this ring, this cake, these flowers and the list infinitely goes on. How many girls do you see studying the word of God to find out with HE says about marriage.

I did not realize the importance of this until a few months before the wedding. (If you know brian and I you're probably laughing because our engagement was just a couple months.)

The Bible doesn't say how to arrange the flowers for center pieces, it gives no advice on hair styles. It also does not say "Thou shall marry Brian on July 24". ( I don't believe in soul mates or "one person" but thats not important here)


Those of you who are married, we need to speak up! While yes, a wedding should be fun and exciting - If you are putting more thought into bouquets than you are your duties as a wife, than something is wrong.

We see Proverbs 30:31 plastered on every christian coffee mug. However, we totally end up missing the rest of the proverb. A mother is telling her son exactly what to look for in a woman. I could go into it, but this post would never get done. Maybe I'll save it for next time.

The Bible has this "cuss" word in it "Submission" 1 Peter 3. We as women ( or at least I do) tend to think of that word with negative connotations. However, I believe (just my false doctrine feel free to test this) that it's not JUST obedience it's obedience WITHOUT an ATTITUDE! !!
My friends, if you know somebody who is getting married soon, or plans to ever in their life. Encourage them. Encourage them to pick up the Bible and read through Scripture. If you are married, you know that marriage is hard, and is rough and you know that (maybe this was just me) you felt a little over whelmed at first.


Tell them to prepare their heart for marriage. Tell them to guard their hearts from the lies and misconceptions of marriage.

I was blessed to have the wedding of my dreams.

I was also blessed by the fact that I started praying for my MARRIAGE.

I pray you take this to heart all of you. Share with those unmarried.
Thats all for now
-J

3 comments:

  1. would you have listened before you were married if someone tried to tell you all of this? I have found that most brides don't really want to hear it...and often don't get it until AFTER they are married...which is sad. But, honestly, most don't want to hear much. If they even HAVE marriage counseling, they do it to check it off the list and then they go back to the wedding. It's kind of like trying to talk to a pregnant woman about how to parent, they think they know what they will do as a parent, and they they have the baby and reality hits that they really do need help!!

    I'm sure there are exceptions..

    ReplyDelete
  2. During our similar whirlwind romance and marriage, we were sat down after some bickering over this or that in the preparations. Wiser words were never spoken than these:

    Do you want a wedding or a marriage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail on the head about submission being obedience *without an attitude*. So many do not get this important point.

    -Patrick McW

    ReplyDelete