1.14.2011

food adventures

I love Mexican food.

and thankfully so does my husband.

I am secretly Latina.

Or at least in my dreams I am.

Last night I thought it would be fun to try and make our own tortillas. (Partly because I only had one tortilla left and I was too lazy to go to the store again) Sounded easy enough. And for the most part it was. They didn't come out terrible, but they definitely weren't as good as what you get in the store. But at least I can say that I made them.

We did have a lot of fun tho. We made quesadillas out of our tortillas which may not have been the smartest idea. But for the most part it worked. Brian was throwing the dough on the counter like he was on t.v. telling his imaginary audience how to make them. It was rather entertaining.

I had hopes it was going to be easier and cheaper then buying them every week and I'm not sure thats the case. I might try a different recipe next time I feel the need to satisfy my inner Latina. Or I might just work up the energy to go back to Safeway and get more.

This was what our tortillas looked like. We couldn't really master the perfect roundness so they mostly looked like giant eggs. Or other various shapes.



This is what my quesadillas normally look like. Big and Beautiful. With store bought tortillas.


This is what the ones with our home made tortillas looked like. They are special.




Brian was a good sport about it. He usually is. He usually only gives his opinion about food when I ask for it. This might be something we try with youth kids and do a taco bar. Becasuse it is fun... just different. And not good for making quesadillas.


On a side note. Normally My quesadillas are the bomb. I end up making enough for multiple people. Brian will take them to work and share with a few friend of ours. (Not to toot my own horn *HONK!)

Secret quesadilla sauce.
1/4 cup mayo
2 tbs jalapeno juice
2 tbs cut up jalapeno's
little bit of Chipotle pepper seasoning
little bit of chili powder

- and then mix all together and Voila!

You may have to play with it to get it to taste. We like ours spicy and I never make it the same way twice. (I dont use measuring cups --too many dishes, too little a sink)

My quesadilla recipe: (I use 10 inch tortialls.)
Preheat the oven to 350
Cut chicken into little paces
In a bowl combine equal parts chicken and cheese and a bowl (usually needs more cheese)
Butter ONE side of the tortilla and fold in half
Spoon on jalapeno mixture to suit your taste (I always put a lot on)
spoon on chicken and cheese mixture

bake in the oven for 2(ish) mins. flip over and bake the other side.
It should be golden brown, crispy and DELICIOUS!

Serve with the usual sour cream or salsa (brian also like queso sauce)

Let me know if you try it and what you think
thats all for now
-J!

No comments:

Post a Comment