1.19.2011

Week 1 - God-Centered Spouse

I love my MIL, she's such an encouragement to Brian and I. For our wedding, She gave us Sacred Marriage, by Gary Thomas. (If you're married, or about to be I suggest you read this book)

Well for Christmas she bought Brian and I the devotional for the book. It's split up to read one devotional, once a week for a year. Now because Brian and I are still students it might take us longer to get through it, but I thought I would blog about at least the one we read.

Week 1, Is all about being a God Centered Spouse, and what that looks like.

"A spouse centered spouse acts nicely toward her husband when he acts nicely toward her. She is accommodating as long as her husband pays her attention....But Paul tells us we are to perfect holiness out of reverence for God. Since God is always worthy to be revered, we are always called to holiness; we are always called to love. A God-centered spouse feels more motivated by his or her commitment to God than by whatever response a spouse may give."- Gary Thomas



I started to think about what that looks like for me.

Psalm 144:12 "Let our sons in their youth be as grown-up plants, And our daughters as corner pillars fashioned as for a place;"
This verse intrigues me, but I only want to focus on the second part of it. Women are a corner stone. Women were set for a place.
What is a corner stone.
....It holds everything up (It supports)
..... It gives the building it's shape.
...... It is there doing it's job, even if the roof isn't there to shelter it,
..... or if the things inside the building isn't there to appreciate and thank it.

I am Brians partner in ministry. I am also his partner in life.
He needs to be able to count on me.
He also needs me to not take the lead in ministry.

Women have an unbelievable power to manipulate.
I've met some pretty manipulative men, but I've met more manipulative women. I believe I am the manipulation queen, just ask my mother. It's a wonder she still has her sanity.

I DON'T WANT TO GET MY WAY.
I DON'T want to be "that woman"
I DON'T want to hinder his ministry
I DON'T want to NOT support him.

I want to be what I was made for. I was made for a place. I was made to support, not lead, not manipulate enough so I am leading.

I want to love him, even if he doesn't love me. I want to be gentle towards him, even when he leaves the seat up. (Which btw he NEVER does because he grew up with 4 women). I want to be focused on God that I serve Brian, despite how i feel or what he does.

I want to be a God-Centered Spouse. Instead of being centered on myself and what I want.
I challenge those few of you who read this, to be the same.

Thats all for now.
-j

1 comment: