1.05.2012

The Craft of Christmas Past

hehe. I hope the title made you laugh. cuz it made me laugh. and yes, I do realize how lame that is.

Anyway. Because Brian and I are so poor, I have to get "crafty" (no pun intended) with our gifts. So this year I made a lot of my gifts.



I made this for my Sister in law. She's an elementary school teacher. Ok here is how I did it.

I took a canvas. And hot glued crayons on it. For this one I took the paper off. For the bottom one, I left the paper on. It all depends on what you want. 


ERRRRRRRRR

Rewind. 


FIRST, I printed out the words. "Mrs. Duncan" from my computer. I taped it to the back side of the canvas and took a paint pen and traced the letters. I am sure a sharpie would work. But I liked the paint texture of the paint pen. 

NOTE: I had to use my phones flash light to see the letters through the canvas. 

THEN. I glued the crayons. or if your brian (Kray-ns)... *I love him, he's my favorite*

After you glue them to the canvas next comes the fun part. Blow drying them. Thats what makes the colors run. It's important for all you OCD people out there (me included at times) that there is no wrong  way to do art. There are no mistakes. It doesn't always end up looking like you want, but it will always be cool.

So i heated the wax until it was a big puddle, then i stood the canvas on it's end and let the colors run down. 

It turned out pretty cool. I covered her name with a piece of paper so the wax wouldn't flow onto her name...

For this one vvv... I did the same thing. Only I glued flowers to the end of the wax. See isn't it pretty. I made this for my other sister in law. 






I made one for my mommy. It looks kinda like a snow flake but I guess I never took a picture of it. Fail.

If you haven't tried this, you should. I must confess however.

I stole the idea from brians little sister. She's the real art genius in the family. So shout out to Jesse. You Rock!

Thats all for now. 
-j

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! My logical brain is not very artsy.

    I totally love the signage!
    Scott
    http://itsmynd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete